As one who suffers from stress a lot, I’ve started spending more time to think about how I can kick the habit, calm down and start focusing.
I hate stress. It annoys me and stops me working hard as I spend more time to solve the issue that is causing me stress. More often than not, the issue is a simple one that didn’t need any stress in the first place. HeartMath Researchers have found that stress has some very damaging effects on your body, such as heart issues, grinding and tension in the jaw and decreased sex drive.
The web is filled with articles about how to solve your stress situation but here are some of the techniques I have tried:
- Disconnect: Switch off your email and the WiFi on your phone. Emails are very distracting and stop your concentrating on the work you are doing. By switching them off, you can focus on the project you are working on and get it finished. You can just switch them on later on
- Focus on one thing at a time. There is nothing worse than trying to finish 4 projects at once. Instead, finish one thing at a time and tick them off as you go. That way, at the end of the day you have accomplished something rather than nearly finishing a load of jobs
- Make lists. I live on Evernote. Every discussion and meeting I have gets added and I make lists of projects I need to work on that week. An elephant never forgets and helps give that sweet feeling of ticking off completed projects
- Use music. Get a pair of noise cancelling headphones, grab a great playlist and start working. I use noise cancelling headphones so I can shut out the noise in the office and concentrate
- Take your shoes off. Sit in your socks makes you feel more at home and calms you down even more
- Switch Off. After work, switch off as often as you can and do something that helps you relax. I go for walks with my girlfriend or play on the Xbox, but anything that helps you stop and focus on something totally different
Stress is the mind wandering and picking up problems, and by avoiding those situations. Make yourself comfortable, cut the coffee and focus your mind and cut the stress from your day.
Have any other stress solving tips? Leave them in the comments section or get in touch.